Kelly Zugay, Co-Founder of With Grace and Gold®
Post Written By:
One common question we are asked at With Grace and Gold is: Do I need to hire a copywriter to compose copy for my new web design?
While every design business is unique, With Grace and Gold offers clients a copywriting document with questions and prompts to guide the copywriting process. Currently, about 8 in every 10 of our clients will choose to use our provided copywriting prompts to compose their own copywriting, while about 2 in every 10 of our clients will choose to hire a professional copywriter.
Today, we want to share 10 considerations for hiring a website copywriter – considerations to make on behalf of your business, and considerations to make as you assess potential copywriters, too!
Considerations for Hiring a Website Copywriter
Welcome to Episode 176 of The Brand It, Build It Podcast: Considerations for Hiring a Website Copywriter
Before diving in, we recommend listening to Episode 082 of Brand It, Build It: Why Copywriting Comes Before Web Design. In this popular episode, we share why copywriting and content curation comes before web design – and you may be surprised to learn more about this best practice and approach!
Today, in no particular order, we’re sharing what to consider as a business owner – and what to look for when choosing a professional copywriter:
- Expertise. A professional copywriter brings a wealth of experience and expertise to the table. They have a deep understanding of effective copywriting techniques, such as persuasive language, storytelling, and search engine optimization. By hiring a copywriter, you can tap into their knowledge and ensure that your website’s copy is engaging, compelling, and optimized for search engines.
- Time-saving. As a small business owner, your time is incredibly valuable. Writing high-quality copy for your website takes time and effort. By outsourcing this task to a professional copywriter, you can free up your time to focus on other essential aspects of your business, such as serving your clients or developing new products or services. Plus, a copywriter can often work more efficiently and deliver results faster than you might be able to on your own.
- Objectivity. Sometimes, it’s challenging to write about your own business objectively. You’re so close to your own business, and you may struggle to see your from your target audience’s perspective – including what sets your business apart in special and meaningful ways. A copywriter brings an outsider’s viewpoint and can provide a fresh and unbiased perspective on your business. They can help you communicate your unique value proposition and key messages in a way that resonates with your target audience.
- Brand consistency. Your website’s copy should align with your brand’s voice and tone. A professional copywriter can capture the essence of your brand and create copy that reflects its personality and values. They can ensure consistency across all pages of your website. Consistent and cohesive copy strengthens your brand and helps build trust with your audience.
- SEO. Search engine optimization, or SEO, plays a crucial role in driving organic traffic to your website. A skilled copywriter understands how to incorporate relevant keywords and phrases into your copy, improving your website’s visibility in search engine results. By hiring a copywriter who is well-versed in SEO practices, you can increase your chances of ranking higher in search engines and attracting more potential customers to your site.
- Target audience understanding. A professional copywriter takes the time to understand your target audience. They conduct research to gain insights into their preferences, pain points, and motivations. With this knowledge, they can craft copy that speaks directly to your ideal customers, resonating with them on a deeper level. By hiring a copywriter, you ensure that your website’s copy is tailored to attract and engage your target audience effectively.
- Storytelling. Effective copywriting goes beyond simply listing features or services. It’s about telling a compelling story that captivates your audience and draws them in. A skilled copywriter knows how to weave storytelling elements into your website’s copy, making it more engaging and memorable. By incorporating storytelling techniques, you can create an emotional connection with your visitors and leave a lasting impression.
- Call-to-action optimization. A well-crafted call-to-action is vital for guiding your website visitors to take the desired action, whether it’s making a purchase, booking a service, or subscribing to your newsletter. A professional copywriter understands the psychology behind persuasive calls-to-action and can create compelling statements that encourage your visitors to act. By optimizing your call-to-action copy, you increase the likelihood of conversions and ultimately boost your business’s success.
- Proofreading and editing. Copywriting is not just about writing—it’s about ensuring accuracy, professionalism, and coherence. A professional copywriter meticulously proofreads and edits your copy to eliminate errors, improve readability, and enhance the overall flow. By entrusting this task to a copywriter, you can be confident that your website’s copy is polished, error-free, and ready to make a great impression on your visitors.
- Long-term strategy. A website copywriter can become a valuable partner in your business’s growth. They can help you develop a long-term content strategy that aligns with your business goals. Beyond your website, they may be able to provide guidance regarding blog posts and social media captions, so you can strengthen your brand’s online presence. By working with a copywriter, you can establish a cohesive and strategic approach to your website’s copy that evolves alongside your business.
Today, we shared what to consider as a business owner – and what to look for when choosing a professional copywriter. We are so hopeful these 10 considerations equip you for success as you consider, look for, and ultimately choose, a professional copywriter to serve you and your business! Thanks for tuning in!
About Brand It, Build It Podcast, Hosted by Kelly Zugay
Hosted by Kelly Zugay, co-founder of With Grace and Gold, The Brand It, Build It Podcast is a leading small business marketing podcast for small business owners, creatives, and founders. Weekly, brief, actionable episodes will equip you to build a successful, sustainable small business. Since 2014, With Grace and Gold has provided award-winning custom brand and Showit web design and completely customizable Showit website templates for small businesses worldwide.