Kelly Zugay, Co-Founder of With Grace and Gold®
Post Written By:
We are so excited to introduce Episode 009 of With Grace and Gold: The Podcast – a business education podcast for small business owners and entrepreneurs. With Grace and Gold: The Podcast features 5-minute episodes with clear, actionable steps to guide you toward successful small business ownership. Listen on Apple Podcasts, Anchor, Spotify, or elsewhere!
5 Tips for Better Client Communication
These days, having an online business can mean you’re not only serving clients within your community — but you could also be serving clients from all over the world.
For many of us, communication is at the heart of our businesses. So, how can we ensure everything we’re communicating as professionally, and as effectively as possible — creating a personal client experience and running our businesses smoothly? Today, we’re exploring 5 tips for better client communication!
- Tip 1: Be open and honest about what your clients can expect from you. Some business owners thrive on the phone, and some business owners thrive via e-mail. Before you begin working with a new client, be open and honest about what your communication policy and style are. Do you use a special project management system? Will you touch base daily or weekly? Share all of these details with clients right away, so they know what to expect from your process. By sharing expectations right away, you can do your best to reduce misunderstandings down the road.
- Tip 2: Be professional from beginning to end. At With Grace and Gold, we believe one of the key ingredients to a seamless client experience is consistency. We believe in being as personable and friendly at the end of your client’s process as you were at the start. When you’re consistently professional and personable, you’ll not only feel good about the client experience you provide, but you’ll also leave a lasting impression for each client you serve.
- Tip 3: Recap the step you’ve accomplished, the step you’re on, and the step you’re going to next. It’s easy to forget that our clients aren’t as familiar with our own processes as we are, which is why it’s important to recap frequently. Often times, our clients have much more going on than working with our business, so it’s important to review where we’ve been, where we are, and where we’re going.
- Tip 4: Experiment with diverse communication channels. At With Grace and Gold, we use audio, visual, and written communication channels at nearly every step of our process. Doing so helps us to better establish expectations and ensure communication breakdowns are decreased. Still, we’re all human, and communication breakdowns can occur, so…
- Tip 5: Be willing to adjust and find the appropriate channel of communication. Certain conversations, and conflicts, are better resolved via face-to-face meetings, video calls, or telephone calls. Be willing to adjust and find the best channel to resolve communication breakdowns.
Communication is constantly flowing from creative small businesses — from the messages we share on social media, to the e-mails we exchange with our clients. We’re so hopeful these tips guide you as you communicate on behalf of your business!
Since 2014, With Grace and Gold has provided brand and web design for creative small business owners. Hire With Grace and Gold or shop With Grace and Gold’s pre-made designs and Showit website templates – and come away with an elevated brand and web design for your small business!
About Brand It, Build It Podcast, Hosted by Kelly Zugay
Hosted by Kelly Zugay, co-founder of With Grace and Gold, The Brand It, Build It Podcast is a leading small business marketing podcast for small business owners, creatives, founders and entrepreneurs. Enjoy weekly, actionable episodes to build a successful, sustainable small business from the inside out.