We are so excited to introduce Episode 002 of With Grace and Gold: The Podcast – a business education podcast for small business owners and entrepreneurs. With Grace and Gold: The Podcast features 5-minute episodes with clear, actionable steps to guide you toward successful small business ownership. Listen on Apple Podcasts, Anchor, Spotify, or elsewhere!
Why The Best Kind of Marketing is Free
Investing in the right kind of marketing for your business is important. In fact, investing in the right kind of anything for your business is important. But, for many small business owners, investing in products or services to enhance their business isn’t always possible. That’s why we believe in the power of marketing your business for free. In today’s episode, we’re sharing why we believe the best kind of marketing can be done for free.
We believe that the best kind of marketing can be done through reviews — the testimonials current clients, past clients, and fellow vendors provide about your business — the social proof that your services are worth booking or your products are worth buying. Whether you receive a glowing testimonial from a past client, or a vote of confidence from a fellow vendor — these reviews can be used to market your business in a purposeful way.
According to Big Commerce, 92% of consumers read online reviews and testimonials when considering a purchase. 88% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations. 72% of consumers say positive reviews and testimonials make them trust a business more.
So, first, how do you receive these reviews? And once you’ve got them, how can you use them to market your business successfully?
First, behind-the-scenes of your business, ask yourself: What kind of relationship am I building with my clients? What kind of relationship do I want to build with my clients? Set the tone for your client experience by communicating clearly, professionally, and confidently with your clients. When you share expectations with your clients, you can set the tone for a positive, professional, and memorable experience your clients are more likely to recommend.
- Create a Welcome Guide which walks your client through the experience from beginning to end,
- Include special, personal touches within the experience to let your clients know they are valued,
- Schedule regular check-ins with your clients to help them feel supported throughout their experience.
The relationship you create with your clients matters. By serving your current clients well, you can create a strong foundation for your business and ensure your client experience is uniquely and carefully tailored to meet your clients’ needs in a meaningful and memorable way.
As your client’s experience comes to an end, how can you work to gather reviews from your clients? A few ideas are:
- Interview your clients about their experience with you. Doing so can provide you with reviews to share on your blog, on your website, on social media, or in your newsletter.
- Send a Client Experience Survey. Ask your past clients directly, to share about their experience while working with you. Not only will this provide you with reviews to share, but it will also help you to learn, grow, and refine your business in intentional ways.
You can also encourage your clients to give reviews or share about their experience freely and publicly.
- Provide your clients with resources to share. As an example, we provide all of our clients with Launch Day Graphics — graphics they can share on social media as they celebrate the launch of their new brand and web design. Provide resources, and encourage your clients and past clients to share about their experience. Doing so can expose your business to new audiences, and potentially, new prospective clients.
- Ask your clients directly. Openly and honestly share that your business is dependent upon word of mouth — and you’d appreciate your client sharing about their experience.
- You can even create a referral program through your business. Offer a financial incentive for referrals, or create an affiliate program.
Reviews can help to build trust in your business in a way other marketing efforts can’t. Best of all, receiving reviews from your clients or endorsements from fellow vendors is free. So, create a positive client experience, gather client reviews, and share them freely on your website, social media, and elsewhere.
Remember, 92% of consumers read online reviews and testimonials when considering a purchase — so sharing your client reviews freely can make all the difference.