What does it mean to establish your expertise as a small business owner — and why is it important to establish your expertise?
The truth is, there are many small business owners — new business owners, experienced business owners, part-time business owners, and full-time business owners. Some of us serve Clients online, while others serve Clients in person.
Why should we want to establish our expertise?
- Because we, as business owners, want to be perceived as professionals, as experts in our field.
- Because we want our Clients to believe in us and in the work we do.
- Because we want our Clients to have an amazing experience and engage in our unique, expertly-designed process.
So, how do we establish our expertise? We’re excited to share below!
3 Ways to Establish Your Expertise
- Know (and share) your process. As a small business owner, it’s important for you to design a clear, easy-to-follow Client Experience. Further, it’s important to be able to share that process with your Clients. When you are able to carefully and thoughtfully guide your Clients through your process, it demonstrates your ability to run a business seamlessly. It welcomes your Clients into a truly professional experience and demonstrates your expertise!
- Know (and share) what sets you apart — and why it matters. As an expert in your field, it’s important to know what sets you apart and why that differentiating factor matters. At With Grace and Gold, our experience, education, and team/friendship set us apart. It matters, because we are able to offer our team/friendship to our Clients and to welcome our Clients in as friends, too! What sets you apart? How can you share it with your Ideal Client?
- Know (and share) what your Clients will come away with. Finally, and most importantly, it’s important to know — and share — what your Clients will come away with as a result of hiring you. If you’re a photographer, yes your Clients will come away with photos — but what else? Meaningful and lasting heirlooms? A once-in-a-lifetime experience? Keepsakes to pass down from generation to generation? Think critically about what your Clients will come away with, and don’t forget to share with them all they can expect from your experience together!
What questions do you have about establishing your expertise? Share in the comments below!
Honest Business Education for Designers
We're excitedly equipping designers — like you — to experience meaningful growth and lasting success. Along the way, we'll be sharing our unique strategy for experiencing business success and earning a multiple six-figure revenue.